Jon Wagner (BASc., MASc., CSODP) has provided high-impact Organizational Effectiveness/HR Consulting internationally in private, public and not-for-profit sectors for over 35 years including holding Senior Human Resources, Organization Development, Change Management roles at Hewlett Packard, Agilent Technologies, Oracle and Alcan. He has been an external Management Consultant since 2002. During that time, he also worked for almost 3 years on contract at the Ontario Public Service as an OD Consultant and as Strategic Advisor the Assistant Deputy Manager, Adult Community Corrections. Jon leads large-scale change projects and organizational transformations, strategic planning, business process reengineering and organization re-design as well as team and organizational effectiveness initiatives. As a pioneer in working virtually, Jon has led, supported and researched and supported virtual teams and organizations for over 20 years.
- Virtual Teams/Organizations/Blended Learning: Consulted to organizations on enabling the Virtual Workforce, Leading Virtual Teams and team building for leadership teams, virtual teams and virtual organizations. Consulted on best practices for effective virtual meetings, collaboration technology, and for blended learning and virtual classroom delivery. Developed and delivered a “Building Effective Virtual Teams” 4-part workshop with a unique blended learning approach including online workshops, online team assessment, intervention strategies, and online follow-up meetings. Provided coaching/tools to senior consultants to provide team building for virtual teams. Designed, developed and delivered Blended Learning and Virtual Classroom solutions to numerous clients.
- Strategic/Business Planning: Facilitated the development of strategic and operational plans for leadership teams in private, public and non-profit sectors at all levels (project teams, operational management, executive) while often also improving team effectiveness. Facilitated community engagement process and strategic planning (including graphic facilitation) for a Community Health centre and developed and facilitated strategic planning processes for Ontario Public Services. Worked with private sector clients on environmental scans, SWOT, development of purpose, vision, mission, strategic direction and strategic and operational plans.
- Change Management/Transformation: Designed complete Organizational Change Management (OCM) toolkit and trained and coached consultants on the approach. Delivered Organizational Change Management services for Oracle, PeopleSoft, Seibel, SAP, and Supply Chain System implementations including project scoping, Executive Sponsorship, Change and Communication Plan, Change Agent Process, Change Readiness Assessment, Business Process Reengineering, Job Impact Analysis and Organization Design. This included over 8 years full-time in Senior Change Lead Consulting roles on large scale IT system implementations and numerous large Organization business transformations. Served as OCM methodology program lead for large Canadian retailer across multiple work streams for a 33 month contract including development and implementation of Change methodology and toolkit.
- Process Reengineering: Helped define Business Process Reengineering approach and facilitated multiple teams to define current state and develop and define future state global processes for the Seibel CRM business processes and application for release as the new Oracle CRM solution. Developed and delivered “Building High Performance Process Reengineering Teams” program to clients in the Ontario Public Service including helping the Centre Forensic Sciences review business process and structure to decrease turnaround time of DNA samples. Facilitated process review, stakeholder consultation, mapping current processes, technology discovery, idea generation, concept evaluation and selection, design modeling, business case development, solution presentation, change management assessment, implementation design and solution implementation.
- Organization Review/Organization Design: Led Financial Planning Branch Organizational review in the Ontario Public Service including set-up of a steering committee, organizational assessment (esurvey, focus groups) future state definition, gap analysis, and organization design with recommended alternatives. This was followed with a change management and implementation plan. Redesigned the role, assessment and development program for managers to eliminate a management level and develop more skilled leaders and improve administrative and business processes in a large manufacturing organization.
Jon has co-authored 3 books/ebooks: “Building Effective Virtual & Remote Teams Handbook”, “BEST Practices for Virtual Meetings” and “BEST Practices for the Virtual Classroom and Blended learning”, and recently published an article: Capturing the Magic of Classroom Training in Blended Learning . He has been a speaker at major conferences including OD Network Conference in Baltimore, Government Greening Conference in Ottawa/Toronto, HRPA Conference in Toronto, Conference Board: Change Management Conference and Canadian Society of Training and Development. Jon was co-founder of the Toronto OD Network and is on the Faculty of the Canadian OD Institute, and instructor for an Blended Learning program for the Masters Certificate in Adult Training and Development at Schulich.
- Jon is actively involved in the community through various projects and committees. He has been in various leadership roles for the Organizational Development (OD) Network, Boy Scouts, and the United Church, and is involved in helping find solutions for the Homeless. Jon is a boater, sailor, skier and jogger and lives on Lake Simcoe with his beautiful wife and incredible son (who is now a doctor in Australia).